Three Facts about a Family Green Card

Immigration law concept shotImmigration to the US is a complicated process. This is especially true under the present administration. If you are an undocumented alien, you should apply for citizenship as soon as possible. The first step is to get a US Lawful Permanent Residence Card, also known as a green card. If you are already in the US, you cannot leave until you get it. You can get it using an employer or family member, and it is good for 10 years.

The most common is the family green card. Here are three facts about family green cards.


Some people still believe that you can get a green card automatically if you marry a US citizen. This is not true. You can get into the US with a visa, but your spouse still has to petition to change it to a green card. You still have to wait a few years for approval. The same applies if your spouse is a green card holder. The process is not that complicated, although it can be if you get a divorce. Consult a lawyer about the consequences of divorce for your green card application.


If you are a US citizen or green card holder, you can bring minor children to the US immediately and start the immigration process. You can also bring your children over 21 to come to the US. However, it may take many years to get a visa because the US only allows a certain number of petitions a year for this category. On the other hand, if you are an undocumented alien, and you have US-born children over 21, they can petition for a green card on your behalf. Children of undocumented aliens born in the US are automatically US citizens.


You can get a visa for your parents immediately and apply for a green card on their behalf if you are a US citizen. However, you are not eligible to do that if you are a green card holder. The same applies if your parents are the ones petitioning for a green card on your behalf.

The green card is the first step to citizenship. It gives you the right to live and work in the US without fear of deportation. You should apply for a family green card Utah as soon as possible with the help of a capable immigration lawyer to avoid problems later on.